Sunday 4 May 2014

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“I've been screaming for years and no one has ever heard me.”

Juliette's touch is power, lethal and deadly. One touch of her skin is pain, pure and deadly. Her touch is the power to kill, she cannot harness it and any contact is lethal. Feared and shunned Juliette is tested on and locked in an asylum, no one knows why her skin how the power to kill so they lock her away. A threat to humanity that is unknown therefore cannot be controlled.

“I am Oxygen, and he is dying to breathe.”

264 days of isolation, Juliette hasn't touched anyone in 264 days, she hasn't spoken a word, until she has to share a cell. She feels a forgotten connection with the boy that is put with her to share her cell, a strong attraction she cannot deny. She longs for his touch, after being starved of human contact it's a strange sort of torture. Romance forms and as secrets are unveiled Juliette realizes just what danger they are in.But no longer is Juliette seen as someone to be feared, but now in the state of chaos and destruction the world has fallen into, in a constant battle between The Reestablishment and the rebels she is to be used, as a weapon.

“His lips soften into a smile that cracks apart my spine. He repeats my name like the word amuses him. Entertains him. Delights him.

In seventeen years no one has said my name like that


The Reestablishment wants to use Juliette and her power, they want to control her and create the perfect killing machine, but Juliette has only ever wanted to be accepted into society, to be wanted and loved by those who surround her. A member of The Reestablishment wants Juliette by his side, he wants to own her and call her his own. To own everything from her power to her heart, he will do anything to have her. To be able to harness her powers and strike fear into the hearts of any who threaten him and his power.

"Laughter comes from living." I shrug, try to sound indifferent. "I've never really been alive before.”

I really enjoyed this story, but i feel it barely scraped the surface, just teased at the bigger story and has me hungry for more. The characters were lovable and i found myself liking and caring for them- yes even Warner. Iv'e discovered a new love for Dystopians and this was such an enjoyable, fun read it didn't disappoint at all. The roamance was super swoon worthy and with a fast flowing plot there wasn't any time for my mind to wander.

This story really is a thrilling ride, totally unexpected and addictive. Mafi's writing style is unique and has a strange slightly eerie beauty to it, it's easy and captivating. Action and romance perfectly blended together creating characters you care about and a plot that's exciting. I loved every second of it, and really cannot wait for the rest of the series to be delivered!

"I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment